Learn more about Depression
What is Depression?
Almost everyone of us fall victim of depression. Regardless of our age, gender or social circumstances – depression is a common mental health issue which strikes us very frequently. So, let’s try to understand what is ‘Depression’.
On a very basic level, we may define Depression as a common mental illness that makes a person sad or unstable. Depression impedes our well-being and puts us into a mental comma, being incapable of enjoying the beauty of our existence.
Causes of Depression
Depression can be caused by a myriad of factors. Prominent ones are –
- stress and life problems
- traumatic life events
- grief and loss
- not sleeping well
- health problems
- lack of physical activity
- unhealthy eating
- using alcohol or other drugs
Types of Depression
According to Black Dog institute – a popular Australian organisation which helps people to battle mental health issues, depression could be manifested into the following five types –
- major depressive disorder
- major depressive disorder (with melancholia)
- psychotic depression
- persistent depressive disorder (or dysthymic disorder)
- perinatal depression (also called antenatal and postnatal depression).